A new mommy's mishaps, mayhem, and majesty

Saturday, March 12, 2011

the great cookie experiment (part 1)

So, I've been trying ever since I moved to Utah to make the perfect (in my eyes) chocolate chip cookies. I used to live in California (elev. 599 feet), and I have struggled with high altitude cooking. Things cook up a lot faster in Sanpete County, which is somewhere around 6000 feet (or so I'm told). my cookies NEVER looked anything like the pics I've seen of Nestle Toll House cookies.

so the great experiment: figure out how to make the perfect chocolate chip cookie.
my first control sample was to use the pre-made refrigerated cookie dough made by Nestle, and I followed the high altitude directions, which were to use the same heat setting (350 F), and to resuce the time from 11-12 min to 9-10 min. easy enough.

The tub did not specify whether the douh needed to be at room temp or chilled, so I did the first batch using dough at room temp. I had to take them out at 8 min. because I smelled the cookies overcooking. they were crispy.

My second control was to bake the dough while it was still chilled. the cookies were almost PERFECT! but around the edges they were starting to overbake.
So my next step will be to prepare the doug according to the normal directions, chill it, and bake it for 8 min. and see how they turn out. I will post pics as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment